Tuesday, November 30, 2010

1960's

Turn Back Time; the High Street BBC1 9pm.
The 1960's.

*
*
*
*

*

*

*
*
*
*
*

*

*
*
*

*

*

*

*
I wrote about Mrs. Sergison's dress before, here.
*
*
*
*

*

*

*

*

*

*
*

*

*
*

*
*
*

*

*

*

*

*
*

*

*
*
*
*
*

*
As this evenings rather emotional programme outlined; Don't blame Tesco for the death of the high street - Perhaps blame should lie with those who ONLY shop at Tesco?
Having had my little shop on Shepton Mallet's Market Place for almost a year now, I would like to thank all of those who have paid it a visit, and to the friends I have made of those who now regularly visit...It is customers like you who will determine if a high street can survive or not.
If you haven't visited your local high street for a while, perhaps it is time you gave it a chance?..I know you would be made to feel most welcome...and perhaps, in return, you will receive a touch of old fashioned personal service and a more unique product.
Niki x

6 comments:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the programs and all your behind the scenes photos, this evening was very sad. Its a shame that things will never return to the way they were, my mum shopped every day on our way home from school and it took ages, or so it seemed, for her to go into every shop as she always had a chat with each shopkeeper, but I remember the day the first little self service supermarket opened and things began to change. Look forward to seeing next weeks photos, Jane x PS I would love to adopt that little old lady as my grandma what a sweet old dear she is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Niki ... I thank you for these beautiful pictures!
    I love to do shopping in your little old world. ;o))
    Unfortunately I live far away, sob!
    A dear greeting Maria.
    (With translator)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a very interesting programme last night and certainly highlighted the problem of how we have got to this situation with our depressed High Streets. On a lighter note, why didn't you have a beehive done??? xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been enjoying the series and found it fascinating how the High Street has evolved over the years. It certainly made me think about how we have lost the personal service we had from the independent shopkeepers x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a happy 1st shop anniversairy, Niki. Long shall your shop last and encourage others in Shepton Mallet to go for that exciting adventure. Don't be sad, there will always be space and customers for your fabulous enterprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know we hardly ever shop anywhere else but our High Street here in Northallerton. I havent been to any of the big towns like Darlington, Middlesbrough or York all of this year. I use my butcher, the twice weekly market, the fruit shop, the local newsagent, the local auctions etc. I don't really like the big towns, preferring to go to other market towns like Thirsk, Helmsley, Stokesley, all with independent shops. We must not let Tesco take over the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for finding the time to visit me...
Niki xx